Recorded in the Maredret Abbey, Belgium on 14 september 2014.
A short peak of our rehearsal…
Also during our rehearsal…
Pierre Danican Philidor was a French musician and composer under Louis XIV. The son of Jacques Danican Philidor le cadet, he became oboist and violinist of la Grande Ecurie du Roi Louis XIV in 1697. He later obtained a position as gambist at la Chambre du Roi. Louis XIV was extremely pleased with Pierre D. Philidor and considered his music as the « perfect representation of his purest taste for the arts ».
The second Suite belongs to his « Premier Œuvre de Trio, contenant 6 Suites », dedicated to the Bishop of Rennes, Grand Maître de la Chapelle du Roy.
The manuscript of this concerto was found in 1931 in the musical library of the Count of Schönborn in Wiesentheid, as non-autograph separate parts. It is believed that it originally was written as a Trio Sonata which was subsequently extended into a Concerto with a concerting cello part at the Count’s request, as he was an enthusiastic cellist himself.
Last update: 2018-02-02,
web design : Ensemble Bradamante